Where will a student be lodging?
This will depend on the site but usually students will stay in a rented apartment or house with other Engage students and possibly a Site Leader. The Missionary Site Director will live in relatively close proximity to the students, as well.


Will there be a local person staying with students in an intern or house parent capacity so they can learn the local culture and locations of places where they will be spending time?
This will also depend on the site. Usually no, but at some sites Engage students will live in close proximity to students from the national church. However, either way, they will have plenty of opportunity to learn language and culture.


What is the financial situation for the household, meals, etc?
Usually, food for meals is purchased by the Site Director or Site Leader out of the students’ Engage funds that have been given. This is usually done as a group, with some meals prepared for students as a large group setting, and others set up for students to prepare themselves. Rent money is administered by Assemblies of God World Missions or Assemblies of God U.S. Missions and the Site Directors, directly from the students’ funds that have been sent in. In general, AGWM or AGUSM and the Site Directors handle most of the administration of funds for the students. Occasionally, some cash from the student’s funds will be given directly to the student while on site to cover transportation, and misc. expenses.


What type of volunteer jobs will they be involved in?
Engage Students are involved in a wide variety of ministry opportunities from children’s and youth mentorship and discipleship, community outreach, feeding programs, preaching and teaching to primarily children and youth but also adults, teaching English, leading missions trip teams, leading worship, college campus ministry, traveling the country to minister to and through local churches, helping to plant churches, and working in orphanages, are just some examples.


Will the onsite missionary be available/close in case of an emergency?
Yes, the missionary will have a phone available in case of emergency and will keep close supervision on all students. International cell phones coverage is also available when out traveling. Once a student is accepted to a site, this information can be passed on to students and parents through the Site Director.


Is there a clear book of guidelines, rules, expectations, timelines of payments etc.
Yes, an Engage Student Handbook is available for each student, including information on payment.


What will be the transportation arrangements for getting to ministry/volunteer sites (walking, public transportation etc)?
Students will be expected to walk and use public transportation such as taxis and buses when appropriate and safe. Additionally, ministry vehicles are available for certain situations and opportunities.


What type of education does Engage offer?
Engage students enroll in any college or university of their choice that offers online/distance education while serving with Engage. They must maintain a class load of 9-15 credits (unless special permission is granted). Time is structured into weekly schedules at each Engage site to ensure proper attention is given to studies. For more information on education go to EDUCATION. Additionally, Engage sites include ministry training, language courses, missiolocial training by missionaries and national leaders, group reading assignments and writing projects, and small group studies and discussions.


Does a student have to be 18?
Students need to be 18 by the time they depart for the Engage site. However, students can begin the application process at age 17.


How long do students spend at Engage Site?
Minimum is one semester/summer internship. Maximum is 2 years.


What is the cost of Engage?
The Engage Site Cost is different for each site. Prices are listed on the individual site location pages. It covers housing, utilities, meals, required medical insurance, internet access, language classes (available at most world sites), local transportation, residence visa, and ministry travel excursions. Be sure to fill out a FAFSA for educational costs, which are separate from the Engage Site Cost. FAFSA funds could potentially be used to cover part of the Engage costs, as well.


Do I have to be enrolled in school?
Engage students (with the exclusion of the summer internships) need to be enrolled in at least 9 credits of college classes or an equivalent educational component approved by the Site Director (ex. non-degree ministerial programs, etc.).


Does a students have to enroll in an Engage partner school?
No, a student can enroll in any school of their choice. However, Engage does recommend our partner schools, additionally, several schools offer up to a 50% tuition discount, and/or advanced placement/credit for experience for Engage students.


How much does FAFSA cover?
Each student’s situation is different. Visit www.fafsa.ed.gov to fill out your form.


Does an Engage student have to be a ministry major?
No, students can study the major of their choice. However, schools providing advanced standing do so for students transferring into pastoral or intercultural studies degree.


When is a student approved?
Once the student has submitted the AGWM MAPS online application, completed the reference requirements, and Site Director/Missionary approval is granted, the student will be notified of final approval. (Money is not sent in nor are plane tickets purchased until approval is granted.)